Saturday, December 29, 2007

Helmets Save Lives...


So, back in Duluth and teaching during the "holiday madness" which it is aptly named. As far as teaching goes for me, it was kind of a hit or miss day. I should preface this by saying yesterday was fine teaching, but I broke a toe ladder of my binding before lessons even started and then proceeded to lock my keys in my car later that day after I had gone to get the toe ladder replaced. Yesterday was not good for me personally. But today, I was hoping for a much better day. I had a three hour private with a 10 yr old boy from Texas who got to side slipping at the end of it all, doing it by himself and in control. Not bad, but I definately felt like a horrible teacher at the end of that one since I typically have my students almost linking turns at the end of an hour and a half lesson. The family was great and even gave me a $15 tip which I greatly appreciated.
I then had like 20 minutes for a lunch break before I had another private lesson. It was with a woman slightly older than me who was having some confidence issues about her turning. I had debated whether to go helmet or hat, and chose helmet because I really enjoy my new one. Thanks Mom and Dad! So, we were doing traverses across the green hill to start off. I was behind her and on my heel edge doing a traverse when I get taken out from behind! When me and this other person finally stop rolling, this 12 yr old boy and I untangle ourselves and I gave him the largest reprimand ever! His buddies were all around him and I too and all of their eyes were wide as saucers. I was so angry that this kid didn't even have the decency to at least FALL before he ran right into me and from behind no less! It was a battlefield out on the hill today to say the least. So, I am glad that I opted for the helmet option because it saved my head from some serious hurting tonight.
So yeah for helmets! I did get to go out and ride with a friend of mine that is working too. He called me randomly while I was in Utah this summer, and we've stayed in contact. So we rode after work and after attempting-and failing with some pain and snow- to do a battleship box and three jumps in the park, I decided that my body couldn't take too much more abuse tonight. So we came back to ski school and shared a pitcher of moosedrool. Yum! Then I went over to my boss's house for a marvelous dinner of grilled salmon, ranch mashed potatoes, and garlic bread. It was a good end to a fairly good day. Only, I know that I will be sore tomorrow because falling off that box knocked the wind out of me pretty good tonight and my body is sore now. Here's hoping some early morning yoga will work out the kinks.

No comments: