Thursday, July 12, 2007

On the road again...

So I'm off on my long awaited, much anticipated trip to see the sights in Southwestern Utah and Northern Arizona. Thank God! Work is good, but when you've been doing it for 9-10 days straight without much of a break, it can really start to wear you down.
It was interesting though the last two days there was a man who visited the park. He was an older gentleman, who will remain nameless, and he was very interesting to talk to. And talk he would. He had a lot of great stories to share about living in Alaska and Hawaii, how he built his homes, and how much he goes fishing. He seemed to like fishing. The topics of his talking was for the most part interesting, but irrelevent. It was the intensity-I noticed-in his voice and how much he seemed to need to tell someone his story so he wouldn't become irrelevent or some random old man who tells stories.
This got me thinking about how many things in our lives define us and mold us to our current sculpted state. It got me thinking how many things had sculpted this man who so much wanted to have someone listen to him. What made him live in Alaska, and Hawaii? How did he come to be camping at the place I work at? So much of a life to tell, and not enough time to hear it because all these other people are demanding your attention.
I will have some pictures posted after my trip to show you a little of the journey I am going on right now. And, if I'm lucky some climbing with some other staff on Sunday the afternoon when I get back! You maybe jealous reading this, but also know that I haven't had a real vaccation of exploration in over a month. I will say happy trails to all and try not to start any forest fires! The largest one is only 10% contained and is roughly 30 miles north of where I am living. Ciao!

No comments: