Sunday, July 1, 2007

A new beginning...

So here is my first posting on a brand new blog. For those of you who are my first guests here, welcome to the random inner workings of my life and mind.

June went by in a flash. With all the worrying about my car and just trying to make sense of the inner workings of Cedar Breaks National Monument, this month has gone by faster than I thought it would. I knew that this summer was going to go fast, but not like this.
There are things that are working well. Like my programs are all working great and are all set. I have had a lot of time to work on them being slightly stranded on all of my days off in June thus far. I have made a few side trips with the other interns, but nothing very far away to explore the local cool things that I am surrounded by. That is going to change though: July is the month of exploration.
So far, I have a trip planned to the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sunset Crater (near Flagstaff), and Pipe Springs National Monument. I am excited to get out and go exploring. Now that my car is finally fixed (apparently it was the radiator), I will be able to explore a little bit farther abroad than my own park here. Again, exploration here I come! I am more excited than words can say because the last week or so, I have felt rather trapped by the lack of transportation.
It is interesting to me how things are working here. In some respects, it feels like everything is going great on the surface, however underneath it all, there is so much chaos that it is dizzying. I feel that the communication between all staff could be vastly improved and I include myself in that too, because I am not exempt myself from not communicating well. I feel that there is always so much to do and this month on average I've been working 45 hour weeks, which probably helps with my current state of frustration due to the lack of good, wholesome fun and free time. Again another reason why I am really looking forward to having a trip out of the park.
I don't want people to think that I don't love it here, because I do. Living in the mountains and so far away from modern stuff that it is rather refreshing. I would suggest it to everyone to get in touch with more green spaces. There are simply various management things that occur that I would like to see improvement on. That is all that I will say on the matter, so if you want details, email me for more.
I have been taking so many pictures of late and I am glad that I had earlier this year bought a second memory card for my camera because there are many times that I have been running out of space on my 256 card. I never would have thought that Utah is so diverse geologically, but it is. Just 2 miles east of the park are miles of lava fields which I never would have expected to find here. They are very neat and fun to explore.
Also, the last few nights have been glorious too because of the full moon. Last night we went on a night hike along the rim of the ampitheater and the previous night we drove up to Brian Head Peak and just watched it rise over the plateau. The beauty here is often so dramatic that it will often take your breath away.
Internet time for the day is up, so I hope you enjoyed the new site and the blog idea. Oh, feedback is always encouraged and desired!
Cheers.

1 comment:

bicyclebound said...

Pix! We know of a whole ton of places to go climbing/bouldering in Flagstaff. Call or email me if you want details- we have an entire book.
Also, I'm glad to hear that things are still going well. I am thankful for that. And that you're taking zillions of pictures. Those will be a blast. Make sure you keep your thoughts centered on what is important to you, and what you're goals are for the week, the day, your life.
Love you lots, Ginger